- Last updated:
- 10 Oct 2016
Sunshine Coast Airport
The Sunshine Coast Council is laying the groundwork for a major expansion of the Sunshine Coast Airport, which will further enhance its domestic and international links.
Currently servicing approximately 1 million passengers annually, the airport expansion project will deliver new infrastructure and facilities enabling enhanced domestic and international flight access to the region. This will also facilitate new freight capabilities and more direct access to global markets.
The proposed expansion will deliver:
- a new runway of 2,450 metres long and 45 metres wide to allow larger, more fuel-efficient aircraft to reach more distant domestic and international markets for both passengers and freight
- expansion of the aircraft apron and improvements to the existing passenger terminal facilities.
- Sunshine Coast Airport Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) has been finalised, with final approvals expected in mid-2016. With these approvals in place there will be greater regulatory certainty for the project and for the potential investor
- Airport runway construction is expected to commence in 2016 and be operational by 2020.
- Private equity investment in the Sunshine Coast Airport asset will be sought in the second half of 2016 through a commercial tender process.
Contact for investment enquiries
Director, Economic Development and Major Projects
Sunshine Coast Council
Phone: +617 5441 8212
Located at Sunshine Coast Airport, the Sunshine Coast Aerospace Precinct provides prime airside and landside development opportunities for smart and innovative aviation-related businesses. Over 35,000 square metres of airside and landside sites are available, with flexibility in block size.
Designed to meet the needs of progressive and globally focused aviation companies, the precinct offers:
- airside sites totalling 22,000 square metres of hangar space
- landside sites totalling 13,500 square metres
- world-class, fully-serviced aviation facilities with Code C apron
- flexible block sizes dependent on the needs of the business.
- Flexible airside sites are available for maintenance and repair organisations, hangarage or other aviation support industries.
- Landside sites are available for development for aviation training or other aviation support industries.
- Sites are now available for long-term lease.
Simple, efficient approval processes for investors
The Sunshine Coast Council’s planning scheme ensures a simple, efficient development approval process for aviation and aerospace ventures at Sunshine Coast Airport. Aviation and aerospace developments do not require public notification and there are no third party appeal provisions, allowing the assessment of proposed developments to occur within 90 days. Development controls are implemented with the end user in mind, providing a high degree of flexibility for prospective investors.
Contact for investment and business enquiries
Coordinator, Business and Commercial
Sunshine Coast Airport
Phone: +617 5453 1501