The health and wellbeing industry is the Sunshine Coast’s largest employer. Around 2,000 healthcare related businesses employ more than 24,990 people (AEC Group 2018), providing the foundation for a dynamic and fast-growing sector.
Underpinning the growth and future investment in the health and wellbeing industry is the development of the Sunshine Coast Health Precinct which includes:
- the A$1.8 billion Sunshine Coast University Hospital (SCUH) - the first new tertiary hospital development in Australia in more than 25 years that is not replacing an existing facility
- the Sunshine Coast Health Institute (SCHI) - a specialist skills, academic and research centre
- the Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital
- the adjacent Health Hub and Birtinya town centre.
The Sunshine Coast Health Precinct continues to be the centre of growth and investment and represents one of the largest concentrations of healthcare related capital expenditure in Australia.
Key health and wellbeing industry participants
Australian Health Accelerator (AHx) Program
AHx is a catalyst for validating and commercialising new, innovative health related products and services with access to state-of-the-art facilities, simulation suites and laboratories. If you are a MedTech, Health and Wellbeing entrepreneur, please visit the Innovation Centre Sunshine Coast Health Accelerator website.
Why establish a health-related business on the Sunshine Coast?
- More than A$2 billion has been invested in healthcare infrastructure across the Sunshine Coast Health Precinct.
- The adjacent Health Hub and new town centre provides multiple investment opportunities that are available now for specialist and ancillary health businesses.
- Strong population growth will drive demand for health and wellbeing services, with an additional 198,000 new residents expected by 2041, in addition to a regional service catchment predicted to grow to 2.4 million people.
For more information about the industry, please download the Health and Wellbeing brochure.
To view the strategic direction for each of the seven High-Value Industries, please visit the Industry Investment Plans.
The Sunshine Coast was a great destination for our multi-million dollar development. A motivated and quality workforce matched by a great place to live and work – it’s hard to beat.
Oliver Steele | CEO, Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital
We maintain confidence in the Sunshine Coast as our centre of operations, with our head office strategically located adjacent to the new Sunshine Coast Health Precinct. Supported by rapid population increase, business and workforce opportunities, and local partners, the Sunshine Coast remains pivotal to Suncare’s future growth, investment and service delivery.
Iain Green | Chairman, Suncare Community Services Ltd
There are so many benefits to running a business on the Sunshine Coast for an employer - lifestyle, lower wage costs, a strong and developing health precinct and a sense of positivity and business growth.
Debbie Neame | SEQ Regional Manager, Westfund Health